Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
Who doesn’t love chocolate? You’ll find this chocolate ice cream recipe easy to make and a tasty hit!
Let’s face it…your ice cream recipe file isn’t complete without a good Chocolate Ice Cream recipe. A true homemade chocolate ice cream using 100% cocoa powder is a must-have when you need to satisfy not only a craving for ice cream but a gnawing desire for chocolate!
Oddly, when I was young, I preferred white chocolate over the standard milk chocolate. Yes, I was a minority of one in my family and community. These days however, my taste has totally flipped and I find the darker chocolates lift my spirits on ho-hum days.
This is an easy recipe using all natural ingredients for a rich, creamy chocolate ice cream with just the right sweetness.
Also, using cocoa powder also allows you to adjust the sweetness with only the amount of sugar you use. You don’t have to take added sweeteners in syrups or melted chocolate chips into consideration.
- 3-1/2 cups half & half cream
- 5 large egg yolks slightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For this part you'll need the half & half, egg yolks slightly beaten, sugar and cocoa powder.
- Before pouring all of these ingredients into the saucepan, mixing the cocoa powder and sugar together in a separate bowl helps the cocoa powder mix into the other ingredients easier.
- I use a fork to blend them and break up the larger spots of cocoa that tend to stick together.
- In a large saucepan mix the half & half, egg yolks, and sugar and cocoa mix. Stir over medium heat until the sugar and cocoa mix are completely dissolved and mixed into the cream and egg. Make sure to get the bottom and inner corners of the pan where the liquid can seal cocoa powder in.
- Continue stirring frequently until the mixture just begins to boil. Remove from heat and chill thoroughly.
- Now that your custard is thoroughly chilled, add the whipping cream and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly. Pour the finished mixture into your ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions.
- When the ice cream maker is done, you should have a nice batch of chocolate ice cream with a soft consistency. Pour the ice cream into a container and put in the freezer to harden.
- After 6-8 hours your Chocolate Ice Cream is ready to serve!
2 thoughts on “Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe”
Omg this seems a lot easier than I thought! I’m putting choc chips in mine!
Great choice…that’s super simple to add! You only need up to one cup of chips.
Add the chips when the custard has chilled before you pour it into the maker (or freezer container if you’re not using a maker) or mix them in after you’ve made the ice cream while it’s still soft enough to stir them in. This will depend on the instructions for your maker.
You can add more than one cup if you like. I’ve tried it with a full package of dark chocolate chips…just under 2 cups and it worked with this recipe but it was incredibly crunchy ice cream.