Creme de Menthe Ice Cream Recipe
Creme de Menthe…French for ‘cream mint’…and this is a wonderful way to enjoy cream mint frozen!
This Creme de Menthe Ice Cream recipe is a deliciously light, refreshing blend of mint and cream! The recipe is non-alcoholic so the wee ones can enjoy it too! For this recipe I use nonalcoholic Reese Creme de Menthe Syrup, purchased at the grocery store.
There are so many ways you can serve this…
If you want an alcoholic treat, say for dinner guests, pour a little Creme de Menthe liqueur over it and serve with a sprig of mint. It’s a delightfully fresh after dinner dessert!
Since the ice cream is non-alcoholic, you can even serve the same dessert to the younger ones so they don’t feel left out…just use Creme de Menthe syrup in place of the the liqueur.
Or make a Grasshopper Float with homemade Creme de Menthe ice cream in it!
Mix equal parts of Creme de Menthe, Creme de Caoco, and half and half. Shake and pour into a glass.
Top with small scoops of your homemade Creme de Menthe Ice Cream!
This is so tasty and as the ice cream slowly melts on top, it leaves a wonder frothy foam. For this I used a small cookie type scoop and put three small scoops into it. Just make sure you leave enough space at the top for the ice cream so it doesn’t spill over as you add it.
- 3-1/2 cups half & half cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup creme de menthe syrup
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tsp mint extract
- For the custard you'll need the half & half, sugar, egg yolks (slightly beaten), and Creme de Menthe syrup.
- Pour the half & half, sugar, egg yolks and Creme de Menthe syrup in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Stir the mixture constantly until the sugar dissolves. Continue stirring frequently to mix the yolks thoroughly and keep the cream from scorching on the bottom of the pan.
- When the custard begins to show signs of boiling, remove from heat and chill. Placing the covered pan in an ice bath for 15 minutes will speed up chilling before placing the pan in the refrigerator.
- When the custard is thoroughly chilled, you'll need the mint extract and whipping cream.
- Mix the whipping cream and mint extract into the custard and blend it thoroughly. Make sure the spoon gets the custard from the bottom edge of the pan mixed in. When completely mixed, pour the custard into your ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions.
- When the ice cream maker is done, you should have a nice batch of Creme de Menthe ice cream the consistency of soft serve.
- Pour the ice cream into a freezer container and freeze for 12 hours or until firm.
- After it's firm, scoop and enjoy!
If you would like a darker green ice cream you can add green food coloring to the custard, when you add the mint extract and whipping cream, before placing the mixture in your ice cream maker. Add as much coloring as you need for the desired color.
You can also add green swirls with food coloring. After the soft ice cream has been poured into a freezer container, take about a cup of ice cream out of the container and put it in a bowl. Color this separate batch to the desired green. Pour the greener ice cream back into the ice cream in the freezer container and swirl it through the container, making sure to get it down to the bottom as well.